Here’s an array of appetizer and hors d’oeuvres to be served to your family and guests with little work and great results. Each item can be made in advance so you have time to enjoy your party.
1. Sausage Puff Rolls: One of the easiest hors d’oeuvres there is to prepare. Only two ingredients and it’s simple. Purchase puff pastry sheets, not shells, and any type of sausage, turkey works well. If you use hot sausage, it doesn’t translate to being too hot when eaten. Unfold the trifold pastry when thawed, cut into thirds and uncase the sausage onto the bottom of each pastry sheet. Usually around ½ of each sausage will be needed. Wet the top and roll the pastry from the bottom to the top. Freeze until firm, cut into small circles and bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes. Delicious…
2. Smoked Salmon Mousse: Can be piped into Phyllo cups or spread onto Crostini dusted with dill. You’ll need a food processor to blend all of the ingredients. Take ½ cup smoked salmon with equal parts of crème cheese, either light or Neufchatel type. Add 2T mayo, dill, garlic powder, a little Tabasco, if you like, S & P. Blend thoroughly and chill. Can be piped into Phyllo cups with star tip and dusted with dill or fresh dill sprig.
3. Shrimp Skewers: Can be coated with pesto or cocktail sauce. Skewer 2 shrimp onto 6-inch wood skewers. Alter one from the other, i.e., one face right & the other, left. Coat with either pesto or cocktail sauce and serve on platter with thin glass in center for used skewers.
4. Chicken Satay: Another easy and quick appetizer for a great party item. Take chicken tenders and cut into half, unless tender is too small. Use 6-inch skewers and work onto skewer. Coat pan with Pam and line up skewers & cook for 12 – 15 minutes until lightly brown. Serve with prepared Thai peanut sauce or homemade sauce.
5. Healthy Hummus: One of the best fiber treats with lots of great flavours. Use 1 can garbanzo beans that are washed and placed in food processor. Add 3T sesame tahini paste, fresh garlic, ¼ cup olive oil, cumin, 3T lemon juice, S & P. Pulse until completely smoothe and serve with toasted pita wedges or chips.